With a simple Google search, you can turn up thousands of pictures, videos, websites, and other creations on any subject matter imaginable. I'd bet that a lot of "copying and pasting" (guilty!) was being done and people were getting a lot of credit for work they didn't do and the original authors were left in the dust. Enter Creative Commons!
In my two years of teaching, I've learned that 'lifting' is popular in the world of education. You see a good idea and you replicate it! Personally, if I post something on the internet, if someone wants it, they can have it. However, I do see that creative commons would be very useful for people who want to protect their work.
I don't see myself using creative commons in my classroom. My students know that they can't copy word-for-word from a book or website. We've talked about how that is "cheating," but that's as far in-depth as I would get with second graders. I see this being more useful at the high school and college levels.
No comments:
Post a Comment