Monday, April 5, 2010

Thing #5

I'm on a roll with the Things now :)

I was not familiar with Google custom searchs, but I do have to say that I am a fan!  The next science unit my class is going to do is dinosaurs, so I created a custom search engine of dinosaur websites.

I really like that I can limit the websites that show up in the search.  One time I was searching for pictures to go along with our reading vocabulary words, and even though the "strict safe search" was on, some pictures popped up that I was sure would make Kevin hunt me down!  I've never had my kids use search engines to find websites.  I put specific links on an iKeepBookmarks site and have the kids get to them from there.  I never trusted what would pop up on the results pages!  I like the custom search because it gives my kids experience in using a search engine without the possibility of them coming upon something inappropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment